Sunday, October 21, 2007

A Slice of Sal's

OK, OK. I know it is not Sal's anymore. Or Casa Bianco. But can anyone really keep track? The enormous New York-style slices are the same, the guys working behind the counter are the same, so what if the name keeps changing? If pressed, I could probably come up with the accurate name (Pizza di Roma), but everyone knows which pizza place you mean if you call it Sal's, or if you refer to it as the one on the 300 block, or the one by the Tyme machine, or the one with the big, cheap slices.

The slices are big. And they are inexpensive. And I would describe them as greasy. And delicious. I prefer the plain cheese, the margerita and a slice with fresh mozzarella, spinach and tomato. And anything with feta. The hawaiian is very popular, as well as barbecue chicken, the baked ziti and something my husband refers to as the heart attack. I believe it has at least four kinds of meat including sausage, ham and bacon.

This pizza has taken the place of Rozino's in my heart, soul and stomach. I never thought I would get over the loss of Rozino's on Fairchild when the entire block was torn down to make way for Overture. But a nice, big, greasy slice of cheese from Pizza di Roma, and I am a very happy girl.

No comments: